Thursday, 18 November 2010

Kate and William, rings and mudguards

So, Kate Middleton and Prince William have announced their engagement at last – William sealing the deal with Diana’s engagement ring. Poignant and appropriate.
Last night Beautiful Wife Jo and friends are talking about this over tea in the kitchen.
“It’s a gorgeous ring isn’t it”
“Must be worth a fortune!”
“I’ve heard twenty thousand pounds”  (Probably more!)
“Gosh. I wouldn’t want to wear it then. I’d be afraid of losing it. Do you think she’ll have a copy made for everyday wear?”
My much loved Specialized Roubaix comp is leaning on the wall behind them and I realise I have the same dilemma when it comes to riding it. “It’s raining – I’ll take the Langster out instead”
Should I be doing this? I love riding the Roubaix and I know it’s made to be tough. Made to be ridden on the cobbles of Northern France, surely it can’t come to harm in the Cotswolds for goodness sake!
In the Cotswolds last week I stumbled upon the local club run out for their Saturday ride. “Feel free to tag along”, said the friendly Chairman – so I did. After a couple of miles I noticed almost all had mudguards on their machines, “Much friendlier for those behind you”, said the friendly Chairman, and I realised that he was right and that I felt like a hideous aberration, spraying people wantonly. Quietly I slipped slowly to the back – again.

Last night I put my race blades on my Langster (single speed specialized). Then I took them off again.

No comments:

Post a Comment