The route's to be confirmed next month but ... who do we have to thank for this? Bradley Wiggins just has to be mentioned in dispatches. He's been in the news ever since winning the Dauphine Libere, going on to win the Tour de France, storming the Olympic Time Trial ONLY after burying himself into the Box Hill tarmac trying to aid Mark Cavendish win the Road Race three days before. Remarkable!
But it was a great day, and a sign that the Brits do love their cycling. They'll undoubtedly tip out in their thousands onto the Moors, Dales and the Mall. Good choices made there Monsieur Prudhomme!
And no surprise that Bradley won the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Trophy!
And no surprise that Bradley won the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Trophy!
I've yet to ride Box Hill but I gather from the route profile and stats that it's not too different to riding our very own Col de Cranham on the edge of the Cotswolds.
Bradley leads Team GB on the first of nine ascents of Box Hill.
Sunday morning saw me heading off up the Col, the day sunny and crisp, the roads quiet and dry and the fitness level and pace summed up by this ........
....... if I'd reduced speed I'd have been walking! However, after the debacle of the Summer virus, I've come back a different rider. A slower one. And one who's comfortable (for the time being) enjoying the scenery, instead of racing through it .............actually, I never raced through it ........ but I did suffer at my level .... and on this particular Sunday I decided not to.
Just around this corner there's a sharp left to Cranham and then you come across the loveliest piece of tarmac in Gloucestershire. Here it is .........
..... winding its way quietly through the ancient Beech trees of Cranham Woods. After a few minutes of gentle ascent you crest the top and after a short distance are rewarded with an expansive view of the Severn Vale.
Sunday riding, in the Cotswolds, at it's best.



No comments:
Post a Comment