Monday, 25 March 2013

The Mud Doctor's Wedding

"I am never at my best in the early morning, especially a cold morning in the Yorkshire spring with a piercing March wind sweeping down from the fells, finding its way inside my clothing, nipping at my nose and ears."
                                                                                       James Herriot – Yorkshire vet


Geologists, Dr Matt Jones and Keely spend a large part of their working lives drilling for mud samples, which are then dissected, analysed and pondered over in the most scholarly fashion. Talking mud, they fell in love, and this eventually led to Giggleswick Parish church, on one of the coldest march days in recent memory.  The same day last year we were sunning ourselves in shorts and T-shirts! Oh the vagaries!

Keely wore a backless dress – and I, late for the wedding and having had no time to change, sat and watched, wearing my thermal skin, shirt, hoodie, gilet, coat, scarf and gloves, but thankfully, no hat. I’m not a hat person. But I still felt cold.



“I was all warmed up on the adrenaline”, she said. And if they could have plugged her into the National Grid, her 1000 watt smile would have lit up the lives of all those in the 2000 homes on the Isle of Arran, who’s electricity had gone down that very same day.

We spent the reception sat with a roost of retired teachers, counting the cruise destinations they’d been to, and eating a roast (with Yorkshire Puddings).

But Yorkshire itself was most definitely cold. Cold and very, very white.



However, the low slung Plough Inn, in Wigglesworth proved to be a haven of warmth and Yorkshire hospitality.

Tea arrived. “Any chance of some biscuits?

“Aye ... I’ll get ye some biscuits”, said the affable landlord, whereupon his wife, the bustling landlady appeared, seemingly out of thin air, and said, “Nay ... I’ll get you some biscuits – e’ll get ye the rubbish. I’ve got the good ones!”  And she did.



On the way home, cruising down the M6, Joni Mitchell came on the radio, singing,

Oh I could drink a case of you darling
And I would still be on my feet
I would still be on my feet

A memorable lyric in a truly great love song.

No comments:

Post a Comment